It’s officially one week before Christmas.
Before hitting the panic button, here are some gift ideas that are certain to impress any Detroit-centric friend or loved one. All are available online or at local store.
- Flo Boutique, funky & unique boutique with fashionable clothing, hand-made scarves and jewelry and so much more, 404 W. Willis, Detroit.
- Rust Belt Market, numerous local and talented artists sell custom-made jewelry, eclectic t-shirts, recycled art, gourmet cakes, iconic photos, handmade sweaters and countless other Detroit-related creations, 22801 Woodward, Ferndale.
- City Bird, Detroit-themed accessories, apparel, housewares, paper goods, and jewelry, 460 W. Canfield, Detroit.
- Detroit Athletic Co., best collection of Detroit sports apparel, accessories and collectibles, 1744 Michigan Ave., Detroit.
- Detroit Mercantile Co., Detroit-centric books, home goods, clothing, accessories and collectibles, 3434 Russell, Detroit.
- On This Day: African-American Life in Detroit, local author Ken Coleman explores the city’s African American history in this fact-packed book with rare photos and strong prose, $19.99 or $9.99 on Kindle.
- Heidelberg Art T-Shirt, all proceeds on this attractive shirt, which reads “Art>Arson,” will be donated to the Heidelberg Project, where arsonists are burning down art installations. $25.
- 2014 Historic Detroit Calendar, history enthusiast Rob Klatt created another timeless calendar of historic photos of Detroit, $14.95.
- Glass Michigan Icicle, beautiful, hand-crafted glass icicles from the Glass Academy in Dearborn, $25.
- Pewabic Pottery Tiles, unique holiday tiles and ornaments featuring holiday themes, varying prices.
What are your gift suggestions?
Steve Neavling lives and works in Detroit as an investigative journalist. His stories have uncovered corruption, led to arrests and reforms and prompted FBI investigations.