The Eastown Theatre, a once-elegant movie palace that became a legendary rock venue in the 1960s and ’70s on Detroit’s east side, has been reduced to rubble.
A demolition crew knocked down the final walls today after the city ordered an emergency demolition
The Eastown opened in 1931 as a movie palace and later hosted some of the top rock bands: The Grateful Dead, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Cream, Yes, Grand Funk Railroad, Steppenwolf, King Crimson and MC5.
Demolition began nearly two weeks ago on an adjacent apartment building that had collapsed from a fire.
There are no plans to replace the theater at the corner of Harper and Van Dyke, where a once-strong blue-collar neighborhood has devolved into one of the most blighted and vacant areas of the city.
All photos by Steve Neavling.
Pages: 1 2