Detroit firefighters and neighbors saved the lives of four unattended children who were trapped inside a burning home on Detroit’s west side Wednesday evening.
The children – ages 4, 6, 8 and 11 – were home alone when the fire broke out at 5236 Cecil.
When firefighters arrived, they dashed into the smoke-filled house and rescued some of the children, who were treated for minor smoke inhalation. At least one child was dropped from a second-story window and into the hands of neighbors.
Police are investigating the case and would not discuss details.
“We will be investigating to ascertain is there any child neglect or abuse charges that may result from this incident,” Detroit Police Sgt. Michael Woody said. “Our officers are working in conjunction with CPS (Children’s Protective Services) and arson to get all of the facts together to determine if there is a case.”
Whoever had custody of the children during the fire still has the children.
Steve Neavling lives and works in Detroit as an investigative journalist. His stories have uncovered corruption, led to arrests and reforms and prompted FBI investigations.