It’s business as usual at PJ’s Lager House in Corktown.
A day after a fire tore through an upper flat and killed three cats, the popular bar on Michigan Avenue is reopening and will host a local band as scheduled tonight.
“We are working hard today on cleaning the bar from water damage, to assure we are open tonight,” PJ’s Lager House posted on Facebook. “The last thing PJ wants to do is cancel a show on a local band, whom we love & support and make the Lager House what it is!!! Or a touring band who is on the road looking to make new friends & fans and put some gas in their tank. It may smell like smoke, you may have to enter through the back, but it will be a good time! and the bands will be great!!”
Firefighters were called to the bar after an upper-level flat caught fire at 10:40 p.m. The tenants, who escaped unharmed, tried to save their three cats but it was too late.
Firefighters unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate them.
Damage to the bar appeared to be minimal because of fast-acting firefighters, but the apartment was gutted.
The fire started in a second-floor bedroom.
“As you may have heard, there was a fire last night in the upstairs apartment at PJ’s Lager House, where our good friends Brando & Tati live,” PJ’s Lager House wrote on Facebook. “They made it out safe, but unfortunately their cats did not. They also lost most of their personal possessions. Please keep them in your hearts and thoughts as they work to get through this tragic event.”
A fundraiser was started to help the displaced tenants.
Steve Neavling lives and works in Detroit as an investigative journalist. His stories have uncovered corruption, led to arrests and reforms and prompted FBI investigations.